The Tonnara of Pizzo

The sea of Pizzo has always been famous for its richness. The news about tuna fishing along the coast date back to the second half of the 400 and the second half of the 500, when the duke of Monteleone was owner of the fishing rights of the trap in Bivona Marina. Although, the most important activity appeared to be …

Duomo di San Giorgio

Initially modest in size, in 1573 the building was demolished to build a more imposing one. The church became the first collegiate of the Diocese of Miletus, with the papal Bull of Gregory XIII of 1576. It was opened to worship on 1 may 1587. It was completely destroyed by the earthquake of 1614, again rebuilt and reopened to worship …

Santuario Diocesano di San Francesco di Paola

In 1578 an epidemic of plague hit the city of Pizzo sowing death and despair, to put end to the scourge of the population, they invoked Saint Rocco. The Saint granted the prayers of the population who decided to build on the Lazaret a Church in his honor. During the plague of the epidemic there were also friars from the …

Chiesa del Purgatorio e di Maria SS. Delle Grazie

The Purgatory’s church was built in 1651 by sailors and fishermen. It was denominated like that because of the name attributed to the Rione and the street in which it is located. Between the two stairs that bring to the main entrance there was located a sheet of marble depicted a purgative soul, upon the inclusion of miseremini mei, replaced …

Chiesetta di Piedigrotta

History A mix of local history and legend makes the Church of Piedigrotta unique in its genre. For hundreds of years the story has been handed down of a hypotetical shipwreck which happened in the middle of the 1600s: A ship with a Neapolitan crew was surprised by a violent storm, the sailors assembled in the captain’s cabin where a …

Chiesa Maria SS Immacolata e San Ferdinando Re

Built on the ruins of the Augustinian convent of the fathers by the will of Ferdinand II King of the Kingdom of the Two Sicilies, on his landing in Pizzitana land, was destroyed by the earthquake of 1783. Originally it was only a chapel dedicated to St. Mary of the Rescue, but in 1857 it was enlarged and elevated to …

Chiesa dell’Immacolata Concezione

It was built in 1630 on the initiative of farmers and local merchants who are part of the Immacolata’s Fraternity. Originally, it was dedicated to Saint Giovanni Battista and was located not far from a building used as a hospital for the poor people. The church, considered one of the smallest in the village, is very rich in history and …

Fontana Garibaldi

“Fontana Garibaldi” is known since the XV century as “Fontana Vecchia” (old fountain). In August 1860 the Brigade Orsini of Garibaldi found refreshment of drinking water from this fountain. In honor of them “Fontana Vecchia” became “Fontana Garibaldi” (at that time this mountain was embellished with a facade of grey granite). The ferrous taste of this water is due to …

The Castle

History The building of the Murat Castle was done in two different historical periods. The first part built, was of the only big tower called ‘Torre Mastia’ or the look-out tower. It was part of the Angevinedefense system against the Saracen incursions into the town. It was built at the end of the 1300s. A hundred years later, the castle …